Deciding to Nanowrimo

Today I am back to work full-time on a new documentary series, and while it's lovely to be getting work on an interesting project, I'm going to miss my summer routine of writing, reading and travel.

So, to give myself a solid writing goal to look forward to, I've decided to participate in this year's NaNoWriMo competition in November.

During the month of November I will write a novel of 50,000 words. I don't yet know what I will be writing about.

No, I don't expect it to be pretty, but I do expect to finish.

To help me in my NaNo journey, I picked up Chris Baty's No Plot? No Problem!. It's been a great read so far, but I have had to stop reading because the second part of the book is strictly for reading during the process, and I don't want to ruin the surprise!

Does anyone have any Nano stories to share?
Anyone want to join me in the madness?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that's wonderful! I've done this the last three years- succeeded twice! The one problem I have is that they do it in November, which is a short month (30 days) and it's over Thanksgiving here in the US- that's usually a whole 4-day weekend thing with all kinds of family around- hard to hole yourself up to get your quota of 1665 words in or some such number like that!
    But on the whole I love doing it! It's a great challenge for me, at least, as I am not much of a fiction writer or novel writer- a pretty pure poet, I am...;) Short and sweet is my motto!
    I am not sure if I am doing it this year as I will probably be visiting my mum for a few weeks- not a lot of time to hash out a novel! And I will say, for the most part, the best thing to do is just write- no editing- that comes later. I usually just sit down and pound the keyboard for a bit until I get on a roll!
    Last year, I was told by someone of a past life of mine (?!)- don't know if I quite believe it, but the past life was intriguing enough that I decided to write a story about it for NNWM! Supposedly I was a landholder in Ireland during the first famine there and how I fought bravely and to the end to protect my family and the people who worked the land for me...- somehow it got all science-fictiony by the end- so it was pretty much of a hoot when I re-read it!
    Oh, I am thinking now I may just want to try this again!
    Good luck, Emma- it's really quite fun!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!!! I may be tempted to join you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Bird,
    gosh that's great that you've managed it more than once, thanks for your advice.

    I love the idea of your last year's story!

    I was told once that a past life of mine was as a herbal healer in Ireland - not quite as action packed as yours though!

    green ink,
    You should!! Not that I want to distract you from important work on your novel, but you never know, an intense month of no-holds barred writing could be good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I do!

    Thanks for reminding me that it's coming up. I've been rolling a bit of a plot around in my head the last few days - and Nanowrimo might be the perfect reason to bring it to fruition!

    Yeah.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, that sounds perfect, you should go for it!

    ReplyDelete