Working Word Targets

I'm sitting in a motel room drinking red wine out of a plastic glass (I dislike drinking out of any paper, plastic or polystyrene type substances, but it tastes good tonight!) and thinking it might be a wise idea to get to bed soon, as tomorrow is another long day.

The thing is, tired as I am, I'm itching to do a bit of writing.

I haven't had much time for writing on this trip, certainly not as much as I'd like. By the time I get back to the motel, there's not much time to do anything except have a shower, check emails and fall into bed.

However, I've been experimenting with the idea of weekly word targets (as opposed to daily ones) after reading an article by Thomas Emson in the newly launched White Magazine (from Snowbooks). I like his suggestion that weekly word goals can be a more managable and positive experience, it makes a lot of sense to me and I think that it could really work for my ever-changing routine.

Until I get home (in just over a week's time) I have been setting my weekly goals very low to be kind to myself; and would you know, I'm actually getting things done. The other night I wrote a mere 150 words, but they took me somewhere I hadn't been expecting to go with a character and I couldn't wait to get back to it the next night. Before I knew it, I had met and exceeded the goal set for the week, something that probably wouldn't have happened had I tried to set myself a nightly target.

Hopefully, this week will prove the same!

2 comments:

  1. Hi EJ

    I have a solution to the plastic glass problem, drink straight from the glass bottle!!! (please remeber to take the wine bottle out of the paper bag though! - you don't want people to get the wrong impression ;-)

    You know they should really sell single glasses at the wine shop just for occasions like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea!

    Thankfully I survived the whole plastic ordeal though!

    E
    x

    ReplyDelete